Equity is in the limelight again after a lady by the name Lydia Mathia came out to narrate how her father was conned ksh 34,000 in the name of a loan he never took.
The bitter lady, claims that someone swapped and used her dad’s line to secure a loan, and when the old mzee went to report to the nearest branch, which was Limuru Equity branch but the manager was more than rude.
No one one wanted to help in time. She claims that the bank is deducting the old mzee’s pension to pay for the loan he never borrowed.
Here is Lydia Mathia’s saddening story:
I hope you’re back to work coz I need you to pay some attention here.
Some time early December our dad realized he was not able to use his EQUITEL pin. He called Customer care and after unsuccessful resets, one of your representatives advised him to go to his branch in Limuru and get his pin changed.
Dad is a man of principle and interacts with respectful civility with all people. Has been always. He is retired and currently does small scale farming.
Back to Equity, he pays a visit to Equity Limuru. First point of contact is the customer Service desk. Dad is of course his respectful self. The bank official , not so much. He narrated the issue and the lady immediately tells him that the line he is talking of is not his and he should tell them where he got it… kindly note this is a line that matches his Safaricom line which he has had forever. Back and forth and they finally sort things out by renewing the SIM card.
This is where it gets interesting.
On getting home, Dad got a message that he had an outstanding loan of Ksh 34,000 and then notifications for repayment with a deadline of 27th Dec 2018 started coming through thick and fast as Jeff would say
He went back to the bank obviously emphatic that he had no such loan. The bank manager was exceptionally rude and liberally mistreated my dad till he wondered what he could possibly have done to offend the manager so much
There’s a bank form the manager was supposed to give for a complaint to be filled for escalation and action. The bank manager refused to give the form. Dad went there three times asking for that form, the manager threw him out telling him to go report to the police and bring the OB number.
Well Dad did exactly that, he went and reported to the police and emailed the complaint and OB Number. The matter was assigned an incident report number by the bank.
Now, like I mentioned, dad is retired and on pension. When his pension for December hit the account, it was deducted in its entirety to pay the “loan” and he continues to receive notifications for the balance… (yeah it’s disturbing how small pensions can be after decades of working )
I have soooo many questions and this whole matter is extremely upsetting but what infuriates me is the lack of empathy by EQUITY.
Important to mention that it became apparent in the many visits paid to the bank that the money was withdrawn through another number. The guy actually withdrew 34K, checked balance, got a message that there was 300 remaining and withdrew 200 bob. It has also been established that Dad was on an active call at the time exact time the transaction was happening and at a very different location!!!!
Pray tell!!! How do you take up an individuals entire pension to pay a disputed loan with such glaring evidence!!!??? As big as you are !
Could you not flag the account to stop the automatic deduction?
What’s with your Limuru Branch bank manager? And his staff? Why are they acting so weird??? Do they know something???
I am an Equity customer myself. Have been since I was in Campus. So first of all that’s done!!! I am out the door. Meanwhile, do something about this issue before you lose all your customers. Nobody wants to be a client of a bank that looses them money and mishandles them doing it!
Some of the comments people had for Equity Bank Kenya:
1. Juliuan Kariuki Good u people are coming to know the truth. EQUITY is Old school robbery
2. Kobia Kobia I lost my 5k also deposited to the agent and I didnt find anything in my account
3. Becky Nash Anita I went to deposit about 100,000Kes in person and had counted it like 5 times 2 years ago. The cashier a young woman takes/steals 4,000Kes while counting my money and insists I was wrong it was not exactly 100,000Kes. In broad daylight. Imagine that.
4. Steve Mutuku Equity is a hell
5. Mbogo Charles Wenye tunawekaga pesa kwa karimú(home bank) tucomment wapi…
6. Vin Korio we hate equity ATMS keep kracking you get fines ….going domant overnight get more fines ,equitel messes n delays your head go nuts,
7. Evans Oduor Cooperative Bank of Kenya “We are You”
8. Jose Frank If u want to remain poor for the rest of ua life bank ua cash in this bank woiiieee
9. Michael Angira Equity bank 95 % of employees are kikuyus
10. Dun Osoro Equity si bank,its either Barclays ama ujiekee pesa
11. Jack Jack It was on a Friday last week, I was in a kinyozi somewhere in luckysummer, the Berber received a message, it was 36k from an EQUITEL line, he even thought it was a false msg, but yess it was Money, then a man called n asked him to send him back the money n he gave a nother number of which the money was to be refunded to, this raised suspicion though the Berber being a nice person, he refunded the money
12. Morisoo Papaa Heeeeer….so sad. Guys am closing my account with equity. In solidarity.. Let’s all close our accounts or the compesete all their clients…. Nimendaaaa hivyo
13. Francisco Vieta Senkooto What did the bank do? The main branch, was dad apologised to & compensated?
14. Engr Joseph Matoke Myself on date first I received a happy birthday message from equity but it wasn’t addressed to me but to Mary, so am wondering who is this person called Mary using my number in the equity system?
15. Graceh Wanyagia Equity is not a bank in the year 2015 I opened the account with them after the activation of the account I received a message that I have a pending loan of 21k this is a scam but not a bank
If you have any comment about this bank; whether negative or positive, kindly leave it in the comment box below